- Images of different ideal homes, e.g. a mansion, a country cottage
- Eggs (uncooked) – 1 per group
- Newspaper for each table
- String for each table
- Cellotape for each table
- A flip-chart and pen
- An image of a key
Ask the congregation about what the top things are that they want from a home. Show them the images and ask them to vote for which is their favourite home.
Then get the congregation to make a home for their uncooked egg. Their home will receive points out of 10 for beauty and for how well it protects the egg when it is dropped from a height. Give the congregation approximately 10 minutes to draw a face on their eggs, name them and use the listed materials above to create a home for their eggs. Write up the scores on the flip-chart.
Next read out John 15:9-17. We used the message version. Highlight all the mentions of home in one colour and then highlight all the mentions of love in another colour.
Summary of the talk:
- We need to make ourselves at home in the love of Jesus.
- We can remain in His love by obeying Jesus to love each other.
- Show the key image- The key to making our home with Jesus is to know that we are loved and that making our home in Jesus is so much better than our earthly home.