Today’s stations have a party theme and follow on from the talk “Joy To The World”
Pass the parcel:
- A prize (a bag of sweets or bar of chocolate) wrapped in multiple layers with individual sweets wrapped in bible verses (see below) in some of the layers. (If you think you might have lots of people who want to play you could have two or three presents and play multiple games, one after each other, so everyone gets a go It might also be helpful to suggest that people only have one go at this station.)
- Christmas music and something to play it on
Bible verses to wrap around sweets:
“To us a child is born, to us a son is given!” Isaiah 9:6a
“He will be called wonderful counsellor, mighty God, everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” Isaiah 9:6b
Mary responded: “My soul praises the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God my saviour!” Luke 1:46-7
“Don’t be afraid!” the angel said. “I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people. The Saviour—yes, the Messiah, the Lord—has been born today in Bethlehem, the city of David! Luke 2:10-11
The angel was joined by a vast host of others, praising God and saying: “Glory to God in highest heaven and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased!” – Luke 2:13-14
People often feel that God is something of a party pooper but the bible paints a different picture. God loves to celebrate joyfully, abundantly even. So let’s celebrate that together this morning with a party game! Pass the parcel around the circle and when the music stops whoever is holding the parcel can unwrap a layer. If there is a sweet in that layer read out what the words wrapped around the sweets say.
- Printed words (see below)
- Fairy Cakes or Plain Cookies (or both if you want to give people the choice)
- Coloured icing pens
- Mini Marshmallows
- Other edible Christmassy decorations (there are lots in the supermarkets!)
Words to print:
Print these words & phrases in large colourful font and stick them to the wall or table around your cake decorating area as inspiration:
“Joy To The World”
“Emmanuel – God with us”
“Great Joy For Everyone”
What party would be complete without cake/cookies?! As we celebrate the birth of Jesus – God with us – decorate a cake or cookie to take home with you. You could use some of the worlds on the wall to inspire your decoration.
When you eat the cake later use it as an opportunity to thank God for the good news that he loves us and is with us always.
God With Us:
- Printed Reflection
- Somewhere quiet and comfortable to sit and read
The Word became flesh and blood,
and moved into the neighbourhood.
We saw the glory with our own eyes,
the one-of-a-kind glory,
like Father, like Son,
Generous inside and out,
true from start to finish.
(John 1:14 The Message)
Do you believe that God is here?
That God is personally present, right here, right now?
Whatever is happening in your life.
Slowly read the passage above again and invite God to fill you with great joy at the good news!